June 25, 2008
If there’s one thing I’m good at…
After my last post I took some pictures of knitting in progress then, nothing. I didn’t even download them off of my camera let alone put them on flicker. When I eventually did manage to get them downloaded enough time had passed that I had other things I thought I should photograph and talk about. Did I? Um, yeah, not so much.
I could probably come up a bazillion excuses but mostly it was just inertia. I think I’ve got to go back to consciously trying to post twice a week at minimum. Once I get back in the habit I’ll hopefully get the blogging mojo back. I guess we’ll see.
The strip on the left is one of 5 completed panels. The stuff on the needles is the 6th and final panel. Here’s a horribly blurry close up that does a better job of showing the mottled color of the yarn:
After I finish the final panel – which isn’t done yet because other projects intervened – I have the wool rectangles to make. They get felted and then cut up into leaves and flowers which will be appliqued to the skirt. The knitting is almost done but there’s still a lot to go on this skirt.
One of the things that interrupted the skirt knitting was a request from my mother that I wanted to try to get to for her birthday. A little history: My mother got the first decent sweater I ever knit. She washed it… in a coin op machine… with other clothes… clothes with zippers and things. The sweater didn’t have a very long life. Fast forward ten years. Mom calls and asks if I can knit her a doily for use as a table center piece. Okay… Specs? Hunter green, 2 feet in diameter – no wait, make it three feet because she wants to “scrunch it up.” Anyone think I used laceweight? Not so much, DK weight cotton on size 9US needles. It was finished quickly and she was actually quite pleased with it.
A couple of months ago she called and asked if I had any of that yarn left. I did. I’d bought a bag of ten not knowing for sure how much I’d need and it was cheap. I only ended up using 4 and a bit for the doily so I had lots left. Now she wanted a dresser scarf. She didn’t call it that and she might be using it on a different piece of furniture but the dimensions requested are 8 inches by 36 so dresser scarf is as good a name as anything. I had a couple of false starts. Stitch patterns that just didn’t work but finally came up with this:
I’ve finished it and added a very simple crochet chain edging to the short sides. Now I just need to block it and send it off. I’ll be sure to take a post blocking picture before I mail it.
I didn’t do so well about taking photos of another project I finished recently. I’d signed up for the Book and Bookmark swap. I ended up with two books I was thinking of sending and since only one was in stock when I stopped by the book store it made my choice very simple. I went with Vanity Fair. Chapter 4 is callled “The Green Silk Purse” and that purse is knitted. I used that as inspiration for the book mark. I went by the needle point shop and bought a hank of emerald green silk and basically made an amulet bag. The drawstring strap of the bag is about 18 inches overall which allows it to wrap all the book, half outside and half inside marking the page. The nice thing about this arrangement is that it can’t easily fall out. Since it’s bad luck (at least according to family tradition) to give anyone an empty purse, I made some little stitch markers and put them inside the bag. Now if only I’d taken a picture…
What else? Hmm – oh yes, Death by Socks. We are currently in the midst of battle in game number 4. I finished my first pair and have taken out my target. Now I’m waiting for the dust to settle (a lot of people got taken out on the same weekend) and see what comes in the mail first: unfinished socks so that I can make another ‘kill’ or finished socks the take me out of the game. Here are the socks that I got my first kill with:
My victim said she liked earthtones and wears her socks with blue jeans. I had this Regia yarn in my stash and it seemed like a good choice. Both she and I were happy with how they turned out. This was one of those colorways that looked so much better knit up than it did on the ball. I kind of wanted to keep the socks when I saw how it was knitting up. I wanted to make a kill more though so off they went.
Speaking of knitting games, I just signed up for the Olypic Yarn Smackdown. I’m taking it easy this time though. The only event I signed up for was “knitted lace bookmark.” The advantage to this event is that the finished knitting fits in a standard envelope. One of the less obvios costs to playing these knitting games is postage. I usually go wtih the flat rate Priority Mail envelope with tracking number which ends up being a bit over $5. Send off enough pairs of socks and it can add up pretty fast. I’m looking forward to a game that doesn’t cost much this time.
I think that’s it for now. I’ve got to save something for the next post later this week – I hope!